We are a Stephen Ministry congregation, meaning that we have trained lay caregivers (known as Stephen Ministers) who provide one-on-one Christian care to people who are bereaved, hospitalized, terminally ill, separated, divorced, unemployed, relocated, or facing other transitions or life challenges. Stephen Ministry helps pastors and congregations provide quality care ministry for as long as people need it.
WRPC Stephen Leaders:
- Dave Petke: Coordinator, Publicity
- Sharon Petke: Supervision, Training, Continuing Education
- Barbara Lane: Publicity, Continuing Education
WRPC Stephen Ministers:
- Scott Bowles
- Anne Garber
- Sylvia Rotenberry
- Susan Foster
What is a Stephen Minister
A Stephen Minister is a caring friend who is as near as the telephone and present in person on a weekly basis. They are a child of God who walks beside a hurting person. They are a Christian friend who really listens, who will pray for you, and who considers confidentiality a sacred trust. They are Christ's servant through whom God's love can turn crisis into opportunity.
The Stephen Ministry Difference
With Stephen Ministry, pastors don't carry the burden of being the congregation's sole caregiver. They have a team of gifted, trained, committed lay caregivers ready to minister to hurting people inside and outside the congregation. Laypeople have a chance to use and strengthen their leadership and caregiving gifts in meaningful ministry, serving others while experiencing tremendous spiritual growth. With Stephen Ministry, hurting people no longer suffer alone. A caring Christian friend comes alongside them to provide emotional and spiritual care for as long as the need persists.
With Stephen Ministry, congregations have a practical, powerful way to:
- "Equip God's people for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ." (Ephesians 4:12)
- "Love one another as I have loved you." (John 13:34)
- "Bear one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2)
- "Go make disciples." (Matthew 28:19)